LAUTECH: ASUU Suspends Strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology has suspended its four-months-long strike after a meeting with its members at the university’s main campus in Ogbomoso on Tuesday.

This will be the second time the academic staff union will be suspending its strike which has spanned, at least, two years.

The Secretary of ASUU LAUTECH Dr. Abegunrin, and the union’s Zonal Coordinator Dr. Ade Adejumo, confirmed that the strike had been suspended immediate effect but academic activities will kick off on Monday, October 23.

“The zone will have to be briefed, national will have to be briefed, but the Congress have suspended the strike in principle as from today but full lectures will resume on Monday,” Dr. Adejumo said. “Skeletal things will continue, preparatory to the commencement of full academic activities on Monday.”

The suspension is coming following news that the lecturers started receiving their three-months’ salary arrears — one of their demands for resumption — during the weekend.

Over the months, there had been numerous resumption dates which the lecturers ignored. First, the university management widely publicised September 15 and October 3 for reopening the university and resuming academic activities, respectively.

Although the gates of the institution were reopened as scheduled, lectures did not commence as the academic staff union refuted the announcement saying none of their issues had been addressed and that “strike is still in full force.”

With mounting pressure from the agitated students, LAUTECH’s Vice-Chancellor Prof. A.S. Gbadegesin, once again, promised Monday, October 16, as an alternative resumption date. That date also passed, to no avail.

However, the students are confident that this new date by ASUU will stand. Oleghe Enike, a 300 level of the Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry, reacting to the news said: “I believe we will definitely resume on Monday because, unlike the other dates announced by the school management, this one is coming directly from the body [ASUU] that actually embarked on the strike.”

FG Confirms Three Cases Of Monkeypox Virus

The Minister of Health, Professor Isaac Adewole, has confirmed three cases of monkeypox virus from the 13 suspected cases reported from Bayelsa State in September.
 
Professor Adewole who announced this on Monday at a press conference in Abuja said the confirmation was the final report from the analysis of the samples which were taken to the World Health Organization laboratory in Dakar, Senegal. 
 
He also confirmed that four results from the 43 suspected cases reported from other states including Lagos, Akwa Ibom, and Ekiti states were negative. 
 
Similarly, the Chief Executive Officer of the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, Chikwe Ihekweazu, called for calm among citizens. 
 
Ihekweazu noted that so far, there are no confirmed cases of the virus outside Bayelsa State. 
 
This comes less than one week after the Federal Government said the reported cases of the disease in some parts of the country were suspicion unless confirmed after laboratory tests. 
 
The Minister had on Wednesday last week, after the Federal Executive Council, blamed state governments for the slow response to outbreaks of diseases.